Monday, September 11, 2006

Today's blog prompt

Thinking back to your childhood, was there a teacher who had a huge impact on you? Either in a good way or a bad way....

I went to a small village school from age 5-11 and while most of it was ok, there was one teacher in particular who terrified the life out of me. Her name was Mrs Hester and she was dreadful! Just say that name... Mrs HESTER.... Urgh....!! Even her name sounds horrible! Like a nest of vipers!

I really can't imagine why she disliked me so much. Perhaps she was nasty to everyone, I dont know. I was actually a pretty quiet child, reasonably clever, not much trouble... but she made my life hell, and I'll never forget her. I was so afraid of her that I actually wet myself in school one day - too scared to ask if I could go to the toilet. I was five. I had to choose a big girl to take me home, so I chose Sylvia Scarle, who's garden backed onto ours. I knew her sister, and I knew my Mum knew hers... so even though I was mortified by the accident, I felt a bit safer with her than anyone else I could think of. She marched me home in silence, and the minute I saw my Mum I threw myself at her sobbing. My Mum gave Sylvia sixpence for bringing me home, and she trotted off back to school quite happy. Sixpence bought quite a few sweeties for a girl of seven, back then.

After calming me and getting me clean clothes, my Mum stormed down to the school to sort Mrs Hester out. Lol!! My little Ma was less than 8 stone and stood barely 5'2", but she was a spitfire where her kids were concerned. I don't remember much about it all, but I know she gave them hell.

I'm sure Mrs H had her revenge though, coz she never got off my back til the day I left. Amazing how one mean old teacher can colour so many of your school years.... oh, and Sylvia never fails to greet me as pissy pants if I ever run into her in town.

Somethings you are NEVER allowed to forget!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She sounds like a right old bag, darl; what a miserable old cow. I had the most fantastic teacher at secondary school, Mr Higgs; he fostered and encouraged my love of language, and taught me so many things about how to express myself and communicate effectively. He died in 1997 aged 47, from skin cancer. He was a good man.

Related Posts with Thumbnails