Thursday, September 28, 2006

Design Teams

Reading something on Anam's blog today about the different criteria for DT's set me thinking....
In the past I've been on lots of DT's - often several at once, and sometimes perhaps too many. But these days I've narrowed it down to just a few, because I find I don't have the time to be committed to so many, and to be honest, it's just not as important to me as it once was.

That's not to say I shirk my commitments or have no interest in the mags, companies or web sites I work for - far from it! I just don't feel it's important now to run after every opportunity that presents itself, and truthfully I think you can get overexposed doing that. So many people have said that they do get fed up seeing the same person popping up everywhere... every magazine, every online store... etc. And I know I often feel the same.

There seems to be a huge difference in how DT members are selected too. Very often an online store owner will pick talented friends to promote their wares - and I remember one particularly nasty outcry recently when someone asked some friends, and offered a few places out for audition too. People reacted as though this lady had no right to just give some places away without people having to try out for them....

Why the hell not??? It's HER DT for heaven's sake!!

On the other side of the coin, it seems some places don't just want your ART they want your BLOOD! I entered a 7 week competition to try and win a place on a USA DT. Quite a prestigious site, and a huge hullaballoo in the build up and throughout the trials. It was fun - but also very stressful, and we were put through the mill. Eventually I and several others got our places and so began our term, which we assumed was for a year, as this had been indicated from the start). After just a few weeks it was suggested that perhaps they'd only keep us for 6 months... and in the meantime we had huge committments to meet - using our own stash and time, as they were having difficulty getting sponsors! Many bailed out, but being loyal I stayed on for a while, feeling terribly let down - loads of people never ever got any product to work with, and eventually, they decided to give us a 'furlough'..... Er Hello??? Surely you don't hold a massive competition to find several designers if you have no idea what you are going to be providing them to work with?

Others I've been invited on, and some I've got a place by submitting the required work.

Some sponsors are so generous and fantastic to work with, and if you find yourself on a DT for them then you know you're lucky. The rewards are great and presumably you'll work your socks off and make it worth their while having you.. Lol!

I've read a lot recently though, about people asking for the actual layouts to be sent in - often non returnable. I don't think I'd ever be likey to apply for a place there! Certainly, a company owner needs to assess your style. And they'll want to see if you are of the standard they are looking for, whatever that may be. I don't think it's unreasonable of them to ask to see several layouts, or pieces of work and obviously, they'll need to know a little about you, if only to see if you'll fit in. But why can't you just send electronic images? Usually I am asked for several pieces of work and a link to an online gallery - surely that's enough?

There was one incident though - and I did make this team, where someone entered a piece of work (electronically) that wasn't even her own! Honest to God...! She submitted a handmade book or something - an image of which she'd nicked off the internet!

How dastardly is that...?? Roflol!! I know we all love our DT work.... but honestly!

That's just naughty!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmm and if you are called Carole Moxon and you are reading this Caroline wants to hear from you LOL!!!
I'm so glad to have you on my DT hun, stash parcel on its way soon!

Caroline x

Related Posts with Thumbnails