Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Blog Prompt: Fashion Police

Fashions come and go - But bad taste is timeless, as they say.

Well... have you ever been a fashion victim? Was there any fashion that you loved - but shouldn't have worn, or did you find the fashions of one era outragious or just plain silly - what's the daftest get up you've ever been out in?

I lived through the 60's 70's 80's 90's... and I'm still going strong .

I remember Mini's being the new thing, and going into Town on the bus with my Mum to get my first mini dress to wear to a party. The girl's Mother was horrified and kept telling me to pull it down all afternoon! But I thought I looked fab with my green belted mini and white PVC kinky boots! Wish I had a photo!

Next came Loons, Budgie jackets, Hotpants - and Tank Tops, Platform soles and Oxford bags. Then Trevira suits, DM's and a skinhead haircut. In the early 80's it was Root Perms, and slashed, zipped vests and dungarees with huge belts - Oh....very Dexy's Midnight Runners.

This was followed by flourescent pinks and greens, and acid yellow - I have photo's of me and Carl on holiday - we must have looked like a pile of Radioactive sick! lol!!

Even in the 90'sI didn't escape the fashion disasters.... Oh no.

Look at all that HAIR!


I look like a rabid poodle!




Those days I stomped about in black leggings with big flecky socks and huge boots - usually topped with a ratty levi shirt. I clearly remember knocking things over in shops in my huge duck down puffa jacket... but thankfully - even I - mistress of no taste at all managed to see that really - a shell suit was probably not the best idea for an obviously totally unsporty mum of four!

(if it wasn't my clothing sweeping everything from the shelves, it was probably my hair...)

It seems that only with the new century have I apparently stopped being a victim and developed any sense of style.... Now I wear what I like - which at home is usually PJ's ,or shorts and a vest!

In the 'real world' though, when I have to venture out, I pick soft, comfy, casual gear- jeans, flowing gypsy skirts, sandals or baggy boots. Nothing tight, nothing fashionable or indeed old fashioned - just my own sort of boho hippy type look...

So, at last - I am free.

Old.

But free.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My god. its like looking in a mirror.. i cant believe how much i look like you in this picture! jazza xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails