Sunday, September 24, 2006

The birds

So anyway... I have news!

Last Thursday evening Vinnie and I were watching Dragon's Den, when he suddenly sat up "Mum - Listen, I think I can hear babies!"

We quickly turned the TV down and listened carefully by the cage (covered up, coz it was night time...). And there was no doubt about it, we could hear definite tiny cheeps snd chirps... one of the eggs must have hatched!

Of course I had to get a torch and try and look, then it all went quiet and we were terrified we'd done some harm... but next morning we heard them again - we think there are two now, and yesterday we actually saw a chick when Mum popped out of the nest box to stretch her wings and drink some water.

They are so tiny!

I have done a bazzillion internet searches to learn all I can about baby budgies and breeding and nutrition etc, because we so want everything to go ok. We never planned for this to happen and won't be allowing it to happen again, but now that it has happened unexpectedly, we want to do all we can to make sure the chicks are raised safely and healthily.

In a day or so we need to check if they are ok, and remove any unhatched eggs and abandoned chicks, and that's not something I'm looking forward to, but at the same time I can't wait to see them properly.

Bruce - the proud Father - has suddenly become the Harry Houdini of the bird world, and we can't decide whether his instinct to be a great Dad is prompting his constant escape attempts (food hunting) or whether like a lot of new dad's, he just needs a spot of time away from his Mrs and the crying kids!


Either way he's out of the cage more than he's in it right now - Just hope we can keep him and the cat from meeting up!! Henry might be old but he's not stupid, and he's not slow either. It's an anxious time all right.... Lol!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

awww Jake....how are the babies? Did they survive?

jakey said...

Well, at least one is alive Stace -I know that for sure as I sneaked a peek at Mum feeding him! Very sweet, and very very tiny. We're just keeping our fingers crossed you know, and hoping for the best now.

jk xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails