Sunday, August 27, 2006

Music and Me - a new weekly challenge!

Music features big in my life... I've always been surrounded by it and i'd rather listen anyday, than watch... iykwim?

The men in my life are musical, they love their guitars, and my Mum sang professionally as a young woman. She played the piano too, and boy could she belt out the Blues...She had a Helluva voice for a tiny li'l lady, and my fondest memories are of her singing - On the stage, in the garden, whilst cooking... cleaning....knitting, whatever. In fact - if she was awake, she was singing, and I was singing with her... I had four older siblings, and lived through Skiffle, Rock and Roll, the Sixties, the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Folk clubs, Pink Floyd... and everything in betweeen. I myself, grew up with the seventies and eighties music, and as we had Pubs with entertainment licences there was always Music in my life and in my head. My own kids are all music mad too, and songs and their melodies and lyrics mean a lot to us.

I often use lyrics as a springboard for my own pages and many of you will remember that I used to set regular challenges on Scribblesonline and the Pad, often based around song titles, words or music.

For a bit of fun - and a challenge to you all, I thought I'd start a weekly music prompt. I might use an album cover for inspiration, a Title, or a line from a favourite song. It'll be whatever takes my fancy, and I'll upload my layout with the challenge every week, and you guys can drop me a link if you decide to join in.

Sound like fun?

We'll have a go then.

Week 1: Music

Music was my first love
And it'll be my last
Music of the future
And music of the past.
To live without my music
Would be impossible to do
In this world of troubles
my music pulls me through

John Miles


The words of this song seem apt for a starting point, so my layout is based round them – but we'll have no rules here – Just think about the song and create whatever you fancy from it. It might be a line, a word or two, the whole thing, or whatever springs to mind. I can’t say I’m any great fan of this song per se, but in general, it suits my purpose today. Please don’t forget to let me know if you play along – I’d love to see what you come up with.

Thanks for popping by

jake x

10 comments:

Suzanne said...

ooooooooh this page is luverly, really like the big musical thingy (gone major brain dead here, I do know what it is called, really I do!).

I don't listen to music much at all and am dreadful at artists/titles, but anything that I can dance to is good.

Laurie said...

i am only gettin the sign in page to photobucket when i click on your layout...*pouting* lol

domestic goddess said...

great idea hun, i want to strat a lyrics album so hopefully along with all myother stuff, lol i will have a go
hugs
anna x

Anonymous said...

Coolest idea! bookmarked you to come back as i'm so never gonna get anything done this week with the kids going back to school.

thanks for the heads up ;)

dulcie

Anonymous said...

Beautiful LO Jake and I will get my head around doing some scrapping using your challenges! Stash shopping when the kids go back to school?

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous layout - love the colour combo. I am going to have a go at this challenge - I have used song lyrics as a starting point for layouts before, and I think it's a great idea. YAY! I can comment on your blog!!! xx

Laurie said...

awww this is rich looking! love it!

jakey said...

Liz posted her layout 'Music was her first love' on her blog:

http://www.latescrapper.blogspot.com/

It's gorgeous - do pop over and see it! Thanks jk xx

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

http://keepitsimplemakeitgreat.blogspot.com/

Just 6 minutes before midnight. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jakey. I did it (eventually) but I don't much like it.... It's on my blog for yesterday http://muckyfingers.typepad.com/my_weblog/
You have such a great blog that I can't keep up with it. So much great information xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails