Saturday, January 30, 2010

I am my Dad...

....or that is the joke in the house today, anyway.

The reason for this uncommon mirth is that the boys are off to an event in London shortly and I, being left behind on my own, will have no idea how to operate the TV. Vin has offered to write me a detailed guide - with diagrams if necessary - so that should I decide to settle down later with the pup on my knee I will at least be able to turn the damned thing on, if not find something worth watching. Unbelievably, I haven't always been this useless. Once I could flippantly flick between channels like the best of them (when we only had four, admittedly), I could turn on and off... well it was manual those days, see? I could even switch to aux and insert, play and watch a video. Probably even a DVD! But all that was before we had 77 handsets which all look the same, but apparently operate any number of functions and aspects on a television set, and the peripherals which go with it.

We go down my Dad's quite often to re-acquant him with the buttons and whatnots on his own handsets. He forgets what does what and thinks things are broken, and last time I found him sitting with a whole draw full of batteries, sadly trying one after the other - all to no avail, before we realised he'd actually unplugged the blooming thing before he went to bed the night before, and somehow it had slipped his mind. I did ask why he had so many batteries, and did any of them actually work, but got no satifactory answer and to be honest I was so grateful we'd got it going again without WW3 erupting that I decided not to pursue it... if he's happy to have more batteries than Wilko's in his drawer who am I to argue?

Anyway - you can see why they think I'm turning into my Dad, can't you? I can't work the telly it's true. And most of the time I don't want to, but tonight...? Yeah, maybe I will.

So, i'm off for a crash course in domestic technology. Just hope we've got a few spent batteries kicking around in case I can't work it. It'll give me something to do trying them all out til the menfolks get home to save me from dying of boredom.

Couple of things today: My first card for Card Patterns . It's a great template so I thought i'd have a go :-). And a layout of the boy with the pup. That dog is spoiled rotten, and very very much loved!



7 comments:

Julia said...

LOL!! Jake I know what you mean I haven't got a clue either anymore. Andy does all the changing of channels and switches between the sky box and the freesat box, not to mention freeview that is built in the tele! When he spent the night in hospital a few weeks back it took me all night to work it out and then there wasn't anything worth watching. But I can watch things online that I have mastered.
Hope you have a good evening. xx

Julia said...

Sorry meant to say I love your layout it's gorgeous!!

Cath x said...

Card and layout are gorgeous Jakey.
I can relate to the Dad thing. My Dad in law once asked us why he couldn't get the dvd into the player. Dave informed him it helped if you took it out of the box first!

dstandard said...

Cute take on the sketch and great job on the layout!

yyam said...

I love your LO...so many yummy layers! Cute card too! :)

marley said...

lovely projects, both of them!

whoistracy said...

What a sweet card Jake! Love the soft colors. I had to chuckle at your comment about using the TV!

Related Posts with Thumbnails